Friday, January 17, 2014

Pregnancy-friendly Vacations

“We are torn between nostalgia for the familiar and an urge for the foreign and strange. As often as not, we are homesick most for the places we have never known.” Carson McCullers
 
      I'm a nomad. I feel most at home with myself when I'm hiking through the heavy forests of New Jersey, or diving into salty waves, or in the passenger side of my husband's truck as we take another famous road trip. The air begins to stale when I'm forced to stay in one place for too long - my inner wanderer starts to pace. Obviously, this exploring spirit has to be slightly modified to accommodate my pregnancy. Trips to the grocery store can leave me straggling behind my husband, tired and cranky. Doing everyday house chores can leave me snoring on the couch. How do I feed my passion for travel while still being reasonable? I've come up with some ideas...here's my checklist of things to do and places to go when I need to feel inspired:

Cape May, NJ


      Cape May is a wonderful destination for a pregnant woman. Here's my top 3 reasons why a weekend in Cape May is just the ticket:

1. Cape May runs on a slow pace. It's a lounging, beach side town that celebrates the early 19th century with it's pastel, gingerbread houses and carriage rides. You can spend your morning enjoying breakfast by the beach, catching some rays on the sand and returning back to your hotel or B&B for an afternoon nap. There's no rush.

2. The convenient Bed and Breakfasts are the perfect accommodations for any stage of pregnancy. Whether your struggling through bouts of morning sickness in your 1st trimester or carrying an extra 30+lbs in your 3rd trimester, a stay in one of Cape May's B&Bs is a relaxing treat. If you're afraid to venture out and eat breakfast (who wants to hear you expelling your breakfast when they're trying to use the bathroom?) a B&B can serve you a home cooked meal on a breezy, wooden porch, where you can escape to your room if something doesn't sit right. You have the option of spending the day in your historical, manicured suite if you need to, or walking down the street to the markets or beach. It's a no stress option. By the way, I highly recommend The Dormer House if you're planning on staying at Cape May soon, the rooms are beautiful and the food is always delicious.

3. There's always something to do. Here's the thing about Cape May, it doesn't go to sleep when the temperature drops, there are fun experiences to be had no matter what season it is. You can enjoy the beach, go on a culinary adventure (Bella Vida Garden Cafe is excellent for vegans and carnivores alike, I also recommend The Washington Inn, the Mad Batter, and Hemingways), shop at the many local artisans stores, or stroll through their different history trails (like to the lighthouse). You can go dancing, interact with historical characters, go see a show, or enjoy one of their many different tours. Point blank: you can rest when you need to, but when you're ready to go out there's tons to see and do.

Mohonk Mountain House, NY


       Although I've never been to this resort, the information I've read has me buzzing with excitement. Doesn't it look beautiful?! Here are 3 reasons why I want to go:

1.  The location is breathtaking. It's nestled in the Hudson Valley, which is a beautiful area of New York. If you've never driven into the miles of NY mountains or played on their rocky beaches then you're missing out! The rooms or cottages overlook the acres of beauty God has created.

2. Top rate spa. Mohonk Mountain House has some specialty services for maternity needs, including a couples maternity massage (Russ and I are huge fans on couples massages). I would receive a maternity massage while Russ would enjoy a deep tissue massage. The spa also offers events like meditation classes, which I think will be a great help when I'm tired or anxious. 

3. There are so many adventurous, outdoor activities! There are 85 miles of trails to explore, or, if you're a tired-prone mama-to-be there's swimming in the lake, strolling through the gardens (classes about gardening are available - which sounds amazing, since one of my thumbs is green =p ), carriage tour rides and various classes (like Native American lore, tracking, and other such subjects). This is definitely some place I could see myself come summer time.

Mystic County, CT


       This would be another new experience for me! I've heard of Mystic County and I've been needing an excuse to go, well, here's a good one!

1. There's a bold taste of history in Mystic County. Mystic County has deep roots in America, dating back to the mid-1600's. The locals have a passion for celebrating their history (people after my own heart), so there's a long list of historical places to see. You can stop by the famous Seaport, peruse through the Florence Griswold Museum, or Olde Mistick Village (a colonial village with plenty of shops and sights)

2. The Bed and Breakfasts and Inns are too sweet to pass up. Accommodations dating back to the 1700's are available in Mystic. I've already discussed the luxuries of staying in a B&B in my Cape May section, but it's nice to see that the same benefit can be shared in Mystic. 

3. Mystic offers a host of things to do. As any pregnant woman can voucher, there's a time limit to things you can do. I don't have the same energy expense as un-pregnant Ashley had, I need to know that I can go out and have fun, but can also quickly escape if I need to. Mystic has some fun, no strings attached, activities to be had. You can enjoy the well-known aquarium (I love aquariums!), enjoy the Nature Art Village (like to antique? this is for you), or go watch a show. There's plenty to chose from.

The Inn at Montchanin Village, DE


      This Inn as regarded as one of the best in the country. It's conveniently located in the heart of local attractions and it's only a few hours away from home!

1. There's some bang for your buck! This gorgeous Inn, which has rooms for as low as $192, has paid pain-staking attention to the needs of their guest. Almost every room has its own courtyard and fire place, along with bathtubs and period-minded decor. Let's be frank, sitting in a truck for hours, especially while pregnant, can not only be exhausting but uncomfortable. I've recently discovered that pregnant Ashley has a touch of motion sickness. So being able to soak in a bathtub and make the most out of my room is important to me. Side note: they also have a spa that caters to maternity! Yay!

2. The surrounding activities make this trip. A deeply held tradition of Russell and I's is visiting Longwood Gardens during the month of December. It's the place where Russell proposed to me, so it's an incredibly beautiful and romantic excursion. This past December we weren't able to go, so it would be wonderful to spend a day this summer moseying through the gardens. Some other places to see would be the Delaware Art Museum, the Winterthur Museum, and Wilmington Riverfront.

3. The historical roots. Although I've discussed this a bit in point number 2, this Inn is located around many history rich places and activities. Even the rooms themselves cater to the past. 

      As you can see, there's some recurrent themes for these trips: close proximity to New Jersey, spacious living arrangement, flexibility with activities, and special detail to finding a peaceful environment. Every pregnancy is different, some women have lots of energy and vigor, while others need a few extra naps, so this list may seem too slow or way overwhelming for different pregnancies, that's fine- do you. This list will definitely be my guide to having a fantastic summer!

*I dont think I mentioned this before - unless specified (or obvious, like my face being in the picture) I did not take any of the photos in this blog. I took these photos from the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment