Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Hormones and the Flu

No language can express the power and beauty and heroism of a mother’s love.
- Edwin H. Chapin

      Well, I'd love to say that I'm beyond hormones...that I laugh in the face of estrogen/progesterone surges...that I am calm and serene 100% of the time. But, then again, I'm a terrible liar. The truth is I just finished a dramatic scene of crying helplessly on my living room couch- it was even raining outside to add to the scenery. As I was curled up on the couch, tissue in hand, raindrops against the window, I thought...well, isn't this stereotypical. So, after one last blow into the tissue I straighten up and felt surprisingly better. What led to this momentary lapse of self control? I'll break it down into an equation: A sore throat and throbbing ears + being sent on a wild goose chase to find a doctor = full blown pregnancy meltdown. My primary doctor's office said to call my OBGYN, my OBGYN said to go see my primary doctor...meanwhile I'm at the mirror with a flashlight hovering over a particularly nasty looking sore at the tip of my throat....yuck! So, you can start to see the spiral of panic when I momentary think - oh my gosh, what if no one sees me! What if I'm stuck in pregnancy limbo where the OBGYN and the Dr both claim that my flu is out of their jurisdiction! Now, normal, balanced Ashley would quickly deduce that a doctor can't refuse to see me, someone would have to check out my symptoms, but hormonal, scared Ashley left crying messages on the OBGYN's phone line. *Slaps forehead* Ugh...I could go crawl under a rock at this point.

      I will say this - being pregnant and sick is really scary! Especially since this is my first pregnancy, and I'm only in my first trimester. My baby's organs are developing right now, so the idea of having any type of infection while pregnant is a terrifying realization. It also has taken a huge toll on my body, the flu on top of normal pregnancy exhaustion has made my energy levels completely wrecked. My throat and ears hurt along with my pregnancy nausea. It's a lot for one body to handle. I don't feel like I'm much use around the house...thankfully, my husband has taken that responsibility onto himself until I feel better. He makes me dinner (and breakfast the next morning), cleans up around the house, and finds time to comfort me all after an 8 hour work day and a 2 hour commute. Despite the unfamiliar territory of being ill and pregnant, I am nothing if not prepared. I've already researched what to do when your sick and pregnant and have already started loading myself up with water, water and more water. I'm also eating foods that strengthen the immune system - like kale and citrus.



Here's a list of how to fight off a flu when pregnant (whattoexpect.com):

Rest, and plenty of it
            
Water, and plenty of it
           
Lots of clear, decaffeinated liquids, such as teas and broths

Orange juice or other juices with vitamin C

Taking your prenatal vitamin, which contains vitamin C to boost your immune system and zinc to help fight off germs. And don't forget to get your vitamins and minerals the natural way — by eating food rich in nutrients. You can find vitamin C aplenty in citrus, strawberries, melon, kiwi, mango, papaya, broccoli, red cabbage, tomatoes, bell peppers, spinach, and a host of other delicious foods. Get your zinc from turkey, beef, pork, cooked oysters, yogurt, wheat germ, oatmeal, and eggs.
Eating fresh garlic — known to have virus-fighting compounds (if you can actually get it down), or using anti-viral spices such as cardamom, cinnamon, and cloves in your cooking

Humidifiers to keep the air around you moist (consider a warm mist humidifier)

Saltwater gargles to relieve sore throat pain (try one teaspoon of salt in eight ounces of warm water to get the fastest relief)

Steam inhalation or nasal lavage to relieve nasal congestion or sinus headaches (for lavage, dissolve a quarter teaspoon of salt and a tiny pinch of baking soda into eight ounces of lukewarm water, and use a nasal aspirator to irrigate — or clean — out your nasal passages)

Saline sprays to moisten your nasal passages (but make sure not to use the medicated sprays)

 *Update* I went to the doctors and have a flu. So, I've been pumping myself up with lots of water and vitamin rich foods. I don't think most people know this, but pregnant women are more susceptible to getting sick, our immune system is lowered. It's a good thing that our immune system is weaker, or else it would attack the baby. I have 2 more months of flu season to get through! Pray for me!

      I will say this - the combination of pregnancy and flu has re-taught me an old truth - God is in control. I've done my best to avoid getting sick and have been eating as healthy as possible, but the flu came anyway. I can't control the nausea, nor the ear ache, nor anything else. I've just got to pray and trust God.

2 comments:

  1. I'll just paraphrase Enrique here..."I can be your hero baby, I can kiss away your pain, I will stand by you forever, You can take my breath away."

    Just imagine me singing it with some sweet dance moves...
    soothing right?!

    I love you my wife<3

    ReplyDelete