Friday, December 27, 2013

Work What You Got!

"Let us make pregnancy an occasion when we appreciate our female bodies."  ~Merete Leonhardt-Lupa


         Those who know me know this: fashion is my bff. Few things beat that moment when you stand in front of a dressing room mirror and just grin from ear to ear. It’s that rush of confidence that floods my body when I admit to myself in the light soaked, dull dressing room of my favorite store: wow, I look fierce. Or even better- when I sashay my beautiful find in front of my patient husband, who suddenly sits up straighter in his uncomfortable waiting bench and gives me a flirty smile.


        Now that I’m pregnant I feel like a whole new fashion window has been opened to me and it’s both exciting and daunting. Being only 2 weeks pregnant my body has changed pretty drastically, comparatively speaking. I’m so bloated that my jeans, and yes, even my dress pants *tear* have become uncomfortable and restricting. I find myself surprised that at such an early stage of my pregnancy I’m reaching for sweat pants and dresses, instead of jeans and skirts. The next 8 months are going to continue this pattern, so it’s probably best to embrace this change and start looking for ways to expand upon it.


        I found some amazing ways to capitalize on the beauty of pregnancy. Boring sweatpants and sloppy t-shirts for this soon-to-be mama? No way, José.  Let’s talk bump-chic ;)


        If you’re unfamiliar with high-end pregnancy fashion, then let me introduce you to a website I just found: hatchcollection.com. The designers behind Hatch have the modern woman in mind with their dynamic and functional collections. Let me give you a nibble (oh boy…nibble made me think of snacking…time to go warm up some soup… lol).

 
How cute is this! Notice the bow around the collar; it’s an adorable balance for the growing tummy. This shirt also covers a sensitive area for me: arms. As my body swells I can imagine that my arms will join that party, being able to cover my arms in a dark, slimming material will provide such comfort when I’m not feeling very attractive. The leggings are sexy and fun – although, I do have to wonder how much I’m going to like wearing tight pants. My legs are already sore and cramping, so I think yoga pants may be safer alternative. Also, I don’t know how I feel about thin, high heels when my feet are swollen and tired. A pair of cute flats or sandals would be a more conducive arrangement.



*Squeals* Oh this looks so comfy! Despite the gray color this dress looks so relaxed and feminine! I could go out for a lunch date, get some groceries and take a nap all in this dress and be comfortable. This dress comes in navy and black but I think the gray works best. The hat is adorable with this look, although the shoes wouldn’t work for me. Once again: let’s keep this easy, high heels and an extra 30lbs+? No thanks.


The downside to Hatch? You’re looking to spend a pretty penny (more like a shiny, fat penny worth $248 for a button down shirt). So, if you’re like me, have fun with this miracle growing inside your belly and buy a few special wardrobes pieces, just have a spending plan so you don’t experience buyer’s remorse (remember- the pregnancy will end eventually, so spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on a new wardrobe may not be practical).

             My next fashion pick would be cute, trendy and the highly functional website: http://www.apeainthepod.com




         Unfortunately peainthepod doesn’t offer this shirt anymore, but I ADORE the use of color blocking over the tummy. I also am a huge fan of hiding the upper arms with a nice fit sleeve.



Wow! I mean…wow! Look at the dimension, the movement! The V-neck collar is flattering for the “pregnant mommy” body we’re sporting. The rivers of parallel lines create a complex fluidity that a big tummy will just make interesting. A big, red hat and bug-eye sunglasses would take this look to the next level.


Peainapod shares the same downside as Hatch: price. If you’re coaching yourself with the beautiful mantra: “there must be a way to have both a fashion identity and not break your bank while pregnant!” then I would have to agree – there is!


I don’t know about the other 49 states in America, but here in New Jersey there’s always a Target within 40 minutes of each other. Within this brightly lit castle of sales and brands you will stumble across a wonderful department: Maternity. For those of you who don’t have access to a Target (my heart goes out to you) you have the option of browsing their website. Here’s some lovely (and affordable) finds:





Isn’t this sweet? The flared bottom and loose long sleeves is an assurance for comfort and confidence. I love how the shape of this shirt is almost dress-like, very girly. The color/design blocking also brings attention to the beautiful bun in the oven. Match this with a pair of jeans and cute flats and we have ourselves a winner.


I can imagine dancing in this dress at a summer wedding or strolling down the boardwalk. This little dress is young, flirty and light. I can’t get over that sweet flowered strap and billowy fabric. The only issue I have with this dress is the cinched under-bust strap. I would probably tie a soft white scarf on top of that strap…or perhaps a white belt. Either way, I think this dress is adorable


You know what’s even more adorable? Neither the shirt nor dress cost more than $40 (I know, let’s coo collectively). Going to department stores and thrift shops is a far less expensive route to finding exceptional pieces.


Here are some other ideas to make an inexpensive pregnancy fashion statement (for other ideas check out Thebump.com - it's where I found inspiration!)-


-          Does your hubby love the look of you in his shirts? Great! Pair one of his button-down shirts with leggings or yoga pants. This brings a contrast of a comfy, oversized dress shirt with the tight leggings- your big pregnant belly will just add to the drama


-          Jersey dresses! A nice, flowing jersey-style dress is pretty and functional whether your pregnant or not (this is a good buy for women who want to get pregnant soon!). Just make sure that the dress doesn’t constrict the abdomen and is long enough in the front to cover your growing baby


-          Accessorize! You may not be able to control much, in terms of your body shape, for the next 9 months, but you can count on a flashy pair of earrings or a sparkly necklace. Investing on nice quality scarves or fun hair décor is a great way to add personality and style to your look.


Remember – this is a new fashion adventure! Play with patterns you may not have tried when you weren’t pregnant (large patterns can center the eye on your lovely belly or distract someone from the parts of your body you don’t like). Try out different cuts and lengths. Enjoy this time! You’re going through a beautiful experience – play it up!

1 comment:

  1. You are going to look amazing. Pregnancy is so pretty. I can't wait to see the outfits you come up with. (I'm sure photos will start showing up soon enough). With love and support, always. ~Your husband/ future baby daddy<3

    ReplyDelete